Friday, November 1, 2013

Life, Music, and Worship

This post will be filed under the "non-practical" category, but I hope that you find it interesting and informative.  I appreciate all of you reading this blog and I couldn't have imagined all the cool conversations, encounters, and even changes that have happened because of what I've discussed.  

Today, I want to share with you a little bit of where I'm coming from when writing all this practical advice.  The foundational motivations for all of the things written here is important to understand, especially when it comes to musicianship and striving to be a better musician.  


I've spoken with some who have expressed fear about focusing on musical excellence - that by embracing or striving to improve musically, one might become too "performance driven".  I'd like to examine what it really means for me to worship and to use music as a tool to worship.  Again, this is probably more philosophy and theology rather than practical advice, but some of you are nerds so you might enjoy it.  


Worship through Life (Music as Work)

I had the privilege of studying music composition at Houston Baptist University (I have very little school spirit, but I'm grateful nonetheless).  Through the collegiate experience, I became very aware that writing, performing, and even listening to music is a complex skill.   I came into contact with many talented Christian musicians and teachers who had spent their entire lives devoted to refining the craft and talent they'd been given. 

 Through that experience and those encounters, I realized that excellence in music is both hard work and also worship to God.  I began to view everything I did as worship to Him - whether that meant practicing guitar, doing theory homework, or researching for a history paper.  My perspective and my motivation were forever changed.  Worship became my life. 


The Apostle Paul writes about this in the book of Romans, chapter 12: 
So here’s what I want you to do, God helping you: Take your everyday, ordinary life—your sleeping, eating, going-to-work, and walking-around life—and place it before God as an offering. Embracing what God does for you is the best thing you can do for him.  
David Crowder calls it, "...a perpetually sacred acknowledgement of the Giver of every good thing (Praise Habit)." 

It still is hard for me to comprehend that I get to play music all the time.  Although it will never be just a "task" that I have to accomplish, being a musician is often hard work. In my work I seek to honor Him, to invest the talents He has given me and bring only my best in my everyday life of worship.  

Worship through Song (Music as worship)

The amazing thing is, we get to use music as worship to God in a unique way.  Through the lyrics of songs we declare truth, remember His word, remember His faithfulness, express our gratitude and our surrender, cry out for help, lift up praises to Him - the list could go on for a very long time.  Music is an amazing vehicle through which we can express what we know and how we feel.  

Martin Luther writes in his foreward to George Rhau's Symphoniae incundae - a collection of chorale motets, published in 1538:  
Next to the Word of God, the noble art of music is the greatest treasure in the world.  It controls our thoughts, minds, hearts, and spirits...This precious gift has been given to man alone that he might thereby remind himself that God has created man for the express purpose of praising and extolling God.  However, when man's natural ability is whetted and polished to the extent that it becomes an art, then do we note with great surprise the great and perfect wisdom of God in music, which is, after all, His product and His gift...

In leading worship, my only goal is to direct attention to the Lord and His word.  As a musician, I don't want anything that I do to distract from the truth being sung.  This mindset of "directing focus" is the reason for every decision I make - the songs I choose, the keys each of the songs are in, the way I play an instrument, the tones I use, the way I sing,  the way I speak, the way I dress, etc etc.  If there is anything that doesn't direct focus to Christ, I don't need to do it during a service.  Although I may work hard to play or sing well, I do it in order to more effectively direct focus on Him.  


I've also found that directing attention is best done when I'm well prepared and proficient on my instrument.  The better I am at playing/singing, the less I need to focus on musical execution and the more I can focus on leading worship, connecting with others, and being open to the direction of the Holy Spirit.  


----


Let me close by saying that I believe the Lord uses each of us in our weaknesses and it is only by His grace that we can accomplish anything.  We are all at different places musically and have been blessed with different skills and opportunities.   Thankfully, He accepts our praise as long as we bring our best and do so with humble hearts

To summarize, I started this blog so that we may strive for excellence in humility.  May we become more refined and effective tools for His glory.  

Again, these are just my thoughts and what I've learned from my experiences.  Feel free to comment, give input or leave feedback!  






2 comments: